Thursday, October 4, 2007

10.4.07

Mobius Band – Heaven

Mobius Band is an electronic rock trio, currently based in Brooklyn, NY. Although I didn’t find myself completely in love with every track off of “Heaven” with the first few listens, there is a very compelling originality with these new songs that kept me coming back. These guys are able to bridge the gap between modern indie rock and elecronica pretty flawlessly I think. They balance vocals that seem to lack energy with incredible bass guitar along with danceable beats and always have just the right amount of synth to hold everything together. “Friends Like These” also has to be in my top 5 “most listened to” songs of the year, so good.


Mobius Band - Friends Like These
website buy album




The Secret Handshake – One Full Year

The Secret Handshake is a one-man electronic pop project of Luis Dubuc from Dallas, Texas. I am very aware that this guy appears to completely fit the bill of all the talent-less musicians who are only able to make music solely off the revenue from their 12-year-old girl fan base. I am also aware that with the advent of synthesizers people who would probably never have created anything worth listening to in the past are now considered musicians, Luis Dubuc being the perfect example of that. With that being said I still think this CD rules, and I really don’t care who you are, as long as you can create songs that are extremely fun to dance to I’m probably going to like what you make. The end.


The Secret Handshake - Everyone Knows Everyone
website buy album




The Octopus Project – Hello, Avalanche

The Octopus Project is an experimental electronica band based in Austin, Texas. Not too much comes to mind to help describe the kind of music these guys create, but it’s really good, and it makes me happy. “Hello, Avalanche” would be the perfect soundtrack for a waltz through a peaceful cartoon wonderland where most all of the creatures are happy, with the exception of a few evil villains that need taken care of from time to time. The Octopus Project isn’t just silliness though, I think they're one of the most talented instrumental bands I’ve ever heard and it’s not hard to love every song they’ve made.


The Octopus Project - Mmaj
website buy album



p.s. It is extremely cold in Idaho, but I'm happy here at the BYU-I. I'm presently trying to start a weekly dance party up, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that goes.

No comments: